I was recently nominated by Erik from A More Successful You for the Sunshine Blogger Award. As a new finance blogger I really appreciate the nomination. I started this blog as a creative outlet to cover topics that I’m passionate about. It’s been a great experience so far and a perfect outlet for an extroverted finance geek stuck in a structured 9-5. One thing that I’ve realized is that the personal finance community is an incredible group of extremely helpful and knowledgeable individuals. So, thanks Erik! Glad to participate in this award and as a nominee I’ve been asked to answer a few questions:
1. What is one that thing that you couldn’t go without each day?
I’m going to justify a stereotype of the millennial generation by saying my smartphone. I use my phone on a daily basis for research on the go, managing all of my various email accounts for my 9-5 and side gigs, and maintaining contact with my wife and kids throughout the day.
2. If there was one topic that you wish you were an expert in, what would it be?
Oceanography! In college I took a few oceanography courses and even considered adding a minor in oceanography to my Accounting and Information Systems degree. In the end, I didn’t pursue the field any further but I’ve always been fascinated by marine sciences and the many incredible animals that inhabit the ocean. (After looking at my answer to this question I’m starting to realize that even if I didn’t pursue accounting and finance I’d still be a nerd…no matter what field I chose…)
3. In 3-5 years, where do you want to be in life (could be financially, mentally, physically, etc.)?
Well-balanced. From finances, to career, to family life, to physical wellness; I want to lead a balanced lifestyle. I truly think that’s what it’s all about. I definitely want to excel in each aspect of my life, but not at the sacrifice of the others. I believe that leading a happy and fulfilling life requires a healthy balance in all facets of how you live everyday.
4. Describe your perfect day. What steps are you taking to build towards having that day?
My perfect day would start with waking up to the sunshine coming through my window and not my alarm clock (or my kids jumping on my chest). Having a great cup of coffee and breakfast to get the day started, right before getting in some exercise. Then it would consist of spending a full day with my family doing something awesome. Whether we head into Seattle to go to the zoo or aquarium (oceanography nerd still intact), hit the Olympic national forest for a hike, or just relax poolside with the little ones. Hopefully, if I stick to my financial plan I will reach financial independence and everyday can look like this.
5. If you could start all over in a new profession, which profession would it be and why?
This is a tough one. I’ve thought about how different things would be if I had pursued law school, computer science, or the marketing field. In the end, I think if I had to start over I’d pursue software development. There are so many great opportunities for developers and there is something satisfying about coding and creating something. Whether you’re troubleshooting bugs or creating your own system, it seems like a very challenging and rewarding profession.
I’d like to nominate DC at Young Adult Money and John at Frugal Rules. Nominees are encouraged to answer the questions below, nominate some additional bloggers and provide five more questions for those bloggers to answer. Thanks!
- What is one of your biggest failures or mistakes that you’ve made when it comes to personal finance?
- What is one of your biggest successes that you’ve experienced when it comes to personal finance?
- If you had to compare yourself to one animal, which would it be and why?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- If you could wake up in the body of someone else, who would you pick and what would you do?
Photo cred: Captain Chim